[arch-general] No login after update

Manuel Reimer mail+archgeneral at m-reimer.de
Wed Aug 19 19:02:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

I know that Arch is not for the "average user" and some background
knowledge is expected, but this was the first time I needed a boot stick
since I think at least one year.

Some minutes ago I did a regular system update and after that decided to
reboot. After reboot I was unable to log into my system. After fiddling
a bit I rebooted to an Arch boot stick to find the following message in
pacman.log:

[2020-08-19T20:42:55+0200] [ALPM] warning: /etc/pam.d/system-login
installed as
/etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew

As this seemed to be a candidate that may cause login problems, I
deleted "system-login" and moved the ".pacnew" into place.

After reboot I'm now able to log in again...

IMHO something like this should not happen...

Maybe it's worth a note on the Arch homepage that it is important to
move this pacnew into place before reboot?

Manuel