[arch-general] No login after update

Archange archange at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 19 20:17:33 UTC 2020

Le 20/08/2020 à 00:04, Yaro Kasear a écrit :
> On 8/19/20 2:56 PM, Yaro Kasear wrote:
>>>>
>>> The .pacnew is there to indicate that something new exists, or that
>>> you changed
>>> something. Most of the time you can remove .pacnew files, but not
>>> always. Also,
>>> it's only "cluttering" /etc (and /boot, btw), if you don't handle them.

>>> That's way beyond the scope of a package manager, and also, there's no
>>> way
>>> to tell what "DEFAULTS" (why caps?) should be.
>> Caps for emphasis is all.
>>>>
>>> I don't know why you said that .pacnew sits for thirty seconds before
>>> being
>>> deleted. Are you using a hook that does this? Because nothing handles
>>> them
>>> automatically, that's the user's job. There are tools to aid in doing
>>> that,
>>> but in the end the user should know what to apply, and what to discard.
>> I wasn't being literal about thirty seconds. Exaggerating.
>>> Regards,
>>> Giancarlo Razzolini
>> Yaro
>>

> Oh, also:
>
> "That's way beyond the scope of a package manager, and also, there's no
> way to tell what "DEFAULTS" (why caps?) should be."
>
> Yes there is. The defaults are literally what's in the config file in
> the archive and not on the filesystem. How would that not be a way to
> determine default settings?
>
> I'm not suggesting the package manager would have to understand the
> settings, but it would be able to tell if the contents of that file are
> different from another version. (Which it obviously does already,
> otherwise it wouldn't know to make a pacnew file.)
>
> I can't imagine it'd be that difficult for pacman to compare checksums
> between files in /etc or /boot between versions of a package (If a
> previous version is available.) and what's on /etc and determine if it
> really needs to bother putting a pacnew file on the filesystem that
> doesn't need to be there. It's already doing some sort of check between
> what's in the package and what's on the filesystem already.
>
> Yaro

pacman does this: if the *packaged file* changed between the installed
version and the new one, and the *installed file* is different from the
*packaged file*, then drop a .pacnew.

I’m not sure what you want more…

Bruno/Archange