[arch-general] No login after update

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 21 20:09:50 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:01:50PM +0200, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> There have to be edge cases where the replacement does not happen even if I
> never touched a file myself. But I don't know how to debug this.

No, you are mistaken. There are two issues, which is quite apparent if you do
read the bugreports.

1) People modifying /etc/pam.d files and promptly forgetting it. Breaking their
system as the new file is inserted as `/etc/pam.d/system-login.pacnew`.

2) Some change introduced into the new /etc/pam.d/system-login where auxillary
files such as ~/.pam_environment can sometimes break your system.

I have no clue how the latter works.

> There are more ".pacnew" in my /etc. All for files that I never touched
> myself.

That is concerning, but it is simply something touching those files you are
unaware of. It's however you system and it's expected that you are aware of what
does this.

> I guess there is something wrong with the way how pacman decides when to move
> ".pacnew" into place directly.

There isn't. Peopel with `.pacnew` has modified their files, wittingly or not.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16