[arch-general] drop dependencies on legacy inetutils for `hostname`

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 27 19:27:19 UTC 2020

On 8/27/20 3:17 PM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 14:34:41 -0400, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
>> Why is it bad if you have it installed but not running?
>

> FS#41834 as an example.  Or FS#28819.  There is just no good reason to keep
> dragging purely historic crap like inetutils on so many Arch systems just
> because a few common tools want `hostname`.

That's just a bug in packaging. :p It's the same bug if you genuinely
want to have telnet installed due to being a fan of telnet, and install
it manually.

>> Or 4) submit upstream patches to make such programs first try to read
>> /proc/sys/kernel/hostname instead of shelling out, or invoke `uname -n`
>> rather than `hostname`.
>

> Yes, that's what I just added. ;-)  However `cat /proc/sys/kernel/hostname`
> is even less portable than `hostname`.  `uname -n` is defined by POSIX and
> thus preferred.  A few upstreams already agreed on that.

I do entirely agree, but xorg-xinit was special-casing Linux *anyway*,
and /proc/sys/kernel/hostname should work on any system with a Linux
kernel regardless of installed tools.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User