[arch-general] [RFC] Potentially deprecating primus, bumblebee, virtualGL and primus_vk

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 4 14:11:25 UTC 2020

Em dezembro 4, 2020 10:04 Emil Velikov escreveu:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:50, Giancarlo Razzolini
> <grazzolini at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>> Em dezembro 4, 2020 9:27 Emil Velikov via arch-general escreveu:
>> > I would love to hear the input from the respective maintainers and the
>> > overall Arch developer base as a whole.
>> >

>> As the maintainer for both bumblebee and prime-run, I don't see the need for deprecation, yet.
>> Bumblebee still has some uses and also, the it has the appeal of keeping the card completely powered
>> off, something that doesn't happen with prime render offload.
>>
> Thanks for maintaining these Giancarlo.
>
> The power management side of Bumblebee will be untouched - my email
> explicitly covers only the file side of things.
>
> I've seen far too many reports of people using primus, on top of GLVND
> enabled nvidia/mesa causing all sorts of problems. Since tracking
> individual reports does not scale - I've put this proposal.
>
> Note: having a compat primusrun/optirun/pvkrun makes sense - setting
> the respective environment variables is annoying.
>
> -Emil

Put your proposal changes and reasoning on flyspray tickets for each package and I'll take a look.
I'm not sure all the changes are needed. And, it turns out that, due to some limitations/issues
related to intel gvt-g and nvidia with prime render offload, I'm using bumblebee currently.

Only issue I had recently was the xorg autodetection issue that they reverted, other than that, it
works fine here.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini