[arch-general] [RFC] Potentially deprecating primus, bumblebee, virtualGL and primus_vk

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 11:43:32 UTC 2020

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020 at 18:47, Giancarlo Razzolini
<grazzolini at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Em dezembro 7, 2020 14:24 Emil Velikov escreveu:
> >
> > Doing GL (primus+bumblebee) as a start, trimmed only to the bare
> > minimum changes:
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68882
> > https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/68883
> >

> Thanks.
>
> > Do you have details or a bug report about these? I haven't used intel
> > gvt-g and on the occasion of skimming through the code - quality was
> > below i915.
> >

> There is a nasty bug where nvidia prime render offload causes the VM to simply segfault [0].
> But intel gvt-g is better than using virgl for 3D stuff on a VM.

If I have to choose - segfault or slower rendering (via virgl) - I'd
choose the latter :-P
Nevertheless added a few comments which should help you move forward.

I would suggest opting for virgl, until all the relevant bugs are
fixed. This way we can proceed with the package cleanup quicker.

-Emil