[arch-general] User authentication problems at OpenVPN on ArchLinux

admin at progandy.de admin at progandy.de
Thu Dec 31 13:57:20 UTC 2020

Jordan Borgner via arch-general wrote:
> Good day everyone.

> I'm facing a weird problem with my vpn. It fails to authenticate users
> despite the entered password is correct (copied and pasted).
>
> OpenVPN (version 2.5.0 on ArchLinux) itself is serviced with systemd and
> runs fine. I'm using OpenVPN's auth-pam plugin to authenticate users.
> You find the configuration- and logfiles below.

Hello,

I believe the problem might be openvpn is running as an unprivileged
user with capabilities now instead of relying on openvpn itself dropping
privileges. You'd have to revert those changes to allow pam access to
the password files.

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/3da0f77eeae1e7bd5e877fe183ca67fc20101ad3

--
Andy