[arch-general] Adding a "posix" metapackage

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jan 4 14:56:51 UTC 2020

On Sat, 04 Jan 2020 12:41:26 +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>Arch users may be producing code for non-Arch, non-Linux, systems.

Happy New Year!

Pff! Bash is the most used login shell for Linux for good reasons.
Sometimes I like it faster, hence I like to use dash, sometimes I like
portability to at least FreeBSD, if so I care about this, too.

Linux isn't POSIX, period!

Let alone that Unix System V-style initialization has nothing in common
with systemd based Linux distros, something that is as important
regarding portability, as POSIX is.

Btw. I didn't receive the complete thread, while I received all other
threads from other and this list completely, or maybe I received the
complete thread, if so, somebody likely has broken the thread and the
subject, too. When and where did this thread start?

I only can see the three mails I received and no additional mail here:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2020-January/date.html

I can _not_ find a subject "Adding a "posix" metapackage" in the
December, November, October or September archive, too.

Actually I wasn't interested to reply at all, I'm just curious about
information related to POSIX vs Linux, IOW I'm interested in learning
by reading, but it's a broken thread.

Could you please provide a pointer to the start of this thread?

Regards,
Ralf