[arch-general] too many brick walls for graphical accessible environment on archlinux

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Mon Jan 6 11:28:08 UTC 2020

On 1/6/20 04:05, Ralf Mardorf via arch-general wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 02:45:53 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> I install gnome which has orca in it.  The pulseaudio package installs
>> along with all of its core gnome dependencies
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this helps or might break Orca audio for GNOME. For
> completely other reasons I'm using an empty dummy package to fulfil the
> pulseaudio dependency of some apps. For my purpose it works without
> issues since years.
>
> You could edit a PKGBUILD like this and build it using makepkg:

I suspect this would break configure/automake/etc. scripts that check
for pulseaudio libs being installed and required via make flags in
PKGBUILDS (and thus in depends/makedepends).

probably fine if you don't plan on e.g. installing anything from the
AUR, but probably not very good practice. i'd presume you're sitting on
a timebomb, albeit minor, with pacman thinking pulseaudio libs are
installed when they actually aren't.

according to
https://developer.gnome.org/platform-overview/unstable/tech-pulseaudio.html.en,
pulseaudio is absolutely required for GNOME's audio API.

On 1/6/20 02:45, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Next I run startx and get into gnome and try running orca.
> All of the sudden none of the voice files festival was provisioned with
> can be found anymore
> and orca dies with an error.

this sounds pretty suspicious to me. simply starting GNOME (which should
probably be done with GDM, by the way) oughtn't be touching festival's
voice files (assuming you're referring to the system-wide ones). if you
mean your ~/.festivalrc, though, that's a possibility.

what does:

pacman -Qs 'festival-.+'

return?

--