[arch-general] too many brick walls for graphical archlinux install

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jan 6 18:41:21 UTC 2020

On Mon, 06 Jan 2020 18:10:24 +0000, mar77i via arch-general wrote:
>On Monday, January 6, 2020 6:55 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>> [...]
>> I read about a nopulse package on the arch bbs site in messages but
>> couldn't find that on aur so decided to do some edits on the pulse
>> configuration files.
>> [...]
>
>I used to use `apulse`, a minimal layer that worked at least to have
>audio in firefox and other pulse-only applications. Once I wanted to
>activate my microphone in firefox, though, this setup did no longer
>work. I since installed pulse on my work laptop, while staying on alsa
>on my personal setups.

Hi,

apulse does not help to get rid of pulseaudio dependencies, you still
need a pulseaudio dummy package or to disable pulseaudio. It could be
helpful to use apps that require pulseaudio for audio, if pulseaudio
isn't installed.

I've got apulse installed, but stopped using it a while ago, since it
doesn't works without hiccups.

Btw. firefox from the extra repository is build with alsa and jack
enabled and doesn't require pulseaudio or apulse at all.

[rocketmouse at archlinux tmp]$ grep Features -A2
firefox/repos/extra-x86_64/PKGBUILD # Features
ac_add_options --enable-alsa
ac_add_options --enable-jack

Unfortunately firefox with jack and alsa support suffers from hiccups,
too. It's better to run google-chrome, since it doesn't suffer from
audio hiccups when using it with plain alsa.

I don't know if a "nopulse" package does exist. Assuming there should
be a "nopulse" package available, what does it provide?

Regards,
Ralf