[arch-general] QT5 upgrades broke (non-antialiased) fonts

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jan 8 22:11:02 UTC 2020

On 12/24/19 10:54 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:

> On 12/24/19 9:04 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>> Hi DR,
>>
>>> Recently, a couple of KDE apps I use - most notably kalarm - have gotten
>>> their fonts screwed up.  I usually use non-antialiased fonts.
>>
>> As in bitmap fonts?  Could it be anything to do with KDE's adjustment
>> for the Pango change that dropped support for bitmap fonts?
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/issues/386
>
> No this isn't due to bitmap fonts.  The font in question is a TTF.
> (Arial from ttf-ms-fonts.)
>
> Issue seems to be that after upgrading to qt 5.14.0, kalarm ignores the
> settings to not antialias the font.  When I downgrade back to 5.13.2,
> the problem goes away.
>
> DR

Following up on a previous thread, as I still haven't been able to solve
this issue.  In the screenshot at
http://darose.net/Screenshot_2020-01-08_16-58-43.png you can see that
kalarm is using anti-aliased fonts, while other KDE and QT5 based apps
(like kinfocenter and qps) both correctly display the non-anti-aliased ones.

When I launch kalarm at the command line, it does say "qt5ct: using
qt5ct plugin", as it should.  But I'm still pretty stumped about what in
the qt 5.14 upgrade caused this to break.  Any pointers appreciated!

DR