[arch-general] how to upgrade 2017 server ?

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 18:12:25 UTC 2020

Op za 11 jan. 2020 15:05 schreef Mr.Elendig <mrelendig at har-ikkje.net>:

> On 11/01/2020 03:57, Shadrock Uhuru via arch-general wrote:
> > i have a server that has not been booted since 2017,
> > i tried upgrading with pacman -Syu,
> > i have post the screen output at http://paste.openstack.org/show/788264/
> > i thought adding Eli Schwartz' personal repository to  pacman.conf
> > would have allowed the upgrade with his Binary builds of pacman-static.
> > is my problem still to do with the xz to zstd change or something
> > different ?
>
> Personally I would backup the data/configuration, do a clean reinstall
> and then restore the data and update/port the configurations as needed.

I've had good fairly good experience in upgrading an old Arch install the
past.

Make a full backup, try the upgrade (both pacman-static and the keyring are
probably pre-requisites) and just solve any errors/warnings one at the time.

If it really fails or takes too long, use your backup. If the server is in
any way important, perhaps restoring the backup to a VM first is an option?

Mvg, Guus Snijders