[arch-general] Why "systemd --user" process hanging around after logout?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Jan 24 19:49:45 UTC 2020

I've noticed recently that even after I log out of my desktop env (XFCE)
there is a process tree left hanging around running "systemd --user"
under my user ID (with a bunch of gvfs child processes running under
it).  I wouldn't normally care about this, but if I then try to power
down the machine, that running process seems to block syslog from
successfully shutting down, and so the shutdown process waits for an
extra minute and a half until it finally kills the process and powers
off.  If I manually kill the "systemd --user" process tree, I have no
such issues and the machine can power down instantly.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening / how to fix?  Either by
forcing "systemd --user" to terminate on logout, or by forcing syslog
and/or the shutdown process to not be blocked by systemd?

I did some digging on this, and saw some indication that setting
"KillUserProcesses=yes" in /etc/systemd/logind.conf would force the
systemd process to get shut down.  But I tried changing that setting and
it didn't make a difference.  I also tried setting a script to run at
logout in lightdm, but that didn't seem to work either:  it did kill the
original systemd process tree running gvfs, but then it looks like
another one gets spun up to replace it, and I wind up with the same issue.

Anyone have any suggestions how to work around this?

Thanks,

DR