[arch-general] Why "systemd --user" process hanging around after logout?

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 17:45:19 UTC 2020

Hi DR,

> I've noticed recently that even after I log out of my desktop env
> (XFCE) there is a process tree left hanging around running "systemd
> --user" under my user ID (with a bunch of gvfs child processes running
> under it).

Me too.  It's been like that for a long time.

If you do ‘loginctl user-status $user’ for that user, does it show a
process under the session-*.scope?  I have
/usr/lib/geoclue-2.0/demos/agent here.  If so, it's that process that's
keeping the session open and thus gvfs lives on because it's ‘required’.
Killing just geoclue's PID makes the session disappear after a few
seconds as the session doesn't get reused.

--
Cheers, Ralph.