[arch-general] Why bind-tools was merged into bind package?

Sam Mulvey archlinux at sammulvey.com
Mon Jul 20 20:51:29 UTC 2020

On 7/20/20 1:34 AM, brent s. wrote:
> Because the binaries formerly known as "bind-tools" are a part of BIND9
> proper[0]. Upstream, by including "bind-tools" binaries in the source
> for the BIND9 daemon, ipso facto*intends*  them to be built (and thusly
> packaged) together. To do so otherwise is - one can make the argument -
> *not*  The Arch Way[1].

I don't think that's a strong argument for software that is seen (among
other things) as a reference implementation, which ISC software often
is.  If that's the main reason for wrapping the two packages together I
would rethink it.   This seems like shifting complexity rather than
adding to simplicity, so bringing up The Arch Way isn't entirely
appropriate.

That said, I don't really have a problem with bind-tools being wrapped
into bind.   Heck, I'm for getting rid of the *-headers packages for
kernels, but I doubt that'll be implemented anytime soon.

-Sam