[arch-general] Question about packaging a library (AUR)

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Tue Jul 21 20:14:21 UTC 2020

On 7/21/20 12:46 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:

> Dominik,
>
> $ pkg-config gstreamer-1.0 --variable=pluginsdir
>
> It's not an option to provide the library in /usr/bin, but a usable
> workaround would be to symlink the binary in /usr/bin but install it in
> /opt/transcribe/. Check to see if it correctly picks up the right
> location, though. ;) You might need to create a wrapper script instead,
> which invokes it without a symlink.
>

> You may wish to clarify with upstream if it can use the more customary
> location.

This is how I would (and do, for one or two packages I maintain) do it.

Note that this was essentially the primary purpose of /opt[0][1].

A symlink may or may not work. If it does not, a wrapper that calls the
binary and pass along arguments specified at invocation would work fine.

e.g. something like:

#!/bin/bash

# 3/4 times if this works, a symlink in /usr/bin/ works.
/opt/transcribe/transcribe "$@"

# OR, if it relies heavily on relative paths, it's safer to do:
#cd /opt/transcribe
#./transcribe "$@"

[0] https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/index.html
[1] https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s13.html