[arch-general] mkinitcpio hook for custom root decryption with systemd boot

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:19:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 at 12:09, Riccardo Paolo Bestetti via arch-general
<arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> I have root encryption set up on my system and I currently boot with the sd-encrypt and sd-lvm hooks.
>
> I would like to change my current crypto setup in a way that would require more step to unlock the root than just typing in a passphares. For this reason, sd-encrypt clearly cannot serve my use case.
>
> For this reason, I would like to write a custom hook to mount the root volume. Now, systemd boot doesn't have a concept of runtime hooks. Thus, I need to make a systemd unit that gets pulled in by cryptsetup.target in the place of systemd-cryptsetup at .service. (Basically, I need to replace the whole systemd-cryptsetup-generator and systemd-cryptsetup logic.)
>
> However, I really have no idea on how to achieve this. Should I write a custom mkinitcpio hook which completely bypasses sd-crypt/cryptsetup.target and instead starts a different unit with my own decryption logic? Or is there a way to hook into cryptsetup.target and instruct it to pull in my logic instead of systemd-cryptsetup*?
>
> Of course, the other possibility is to just stop using a systemd boot and instead setting up a busybox early userspace. Then it's just a matter of writing a shell script. However, since I'm already using systemd for everything - from the bootloader to userspace - I don't think it makes much sense to do that.
>
> Any help/guidance/suggestion/criticism is highly appreciated.
>
> Riccardo Paolo Bestetti

haven't looked more deeply into it, but luks/dm-crypt/cryptsetup can
use keys in the kernel keyring. So maybe it would be enough for you to
have a service that configures the keyring before the cryptsetup
service.

https://fossies.org/linux/cryptsetup/docs/Keyring.txt

--
damjan