[arch-general] Archiso doesn't show prompt

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Wed Jun 10 07:32:48 UTC 2020

On 2020-06-09 23:55:09 (+0200), Ricardo Band wrote:
> I have a Supermicro server and since last month archiso doesn't work
> anymore.
>
> The 2020.04 iso did boot fine but the 2020.05 and 2020.06 boots up but
> doesn't show the prompt. I just get a cursor that blinks and nothing
> more. When I switch to other ttys there is also just the blinking
> cursor. I don't know what I can do to further debug this.
>
> My hardware is a Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F with a Xeon E3-1275v6.

Hi Ricardo,

hm, that's an odd one. Are you sure that you have been booting 2020.06?
There has been a bug related to dhcpcd [1], that led to archiso not
booting correctly [2].
However, I since have replaced dhcpcd with systemd-networkd as the
default on the image (which currently due to DNSSEC related
configuration options still has its own problems, but I digress). This
change is on the 2020.06 image and others have reported this to work for
them.

If you can, attach a debug shell (add `systemd.debug-shell=1` to your
kernel cmdline parameters by editing the boot entry) and get some more
info on what is going wrong.

Best,
David

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/66397