[arch-general] dash as default shell?

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:18:33 UTC 2020

Today I set dash as my default shell [1] on two PCs. We will see if I
get into trouble.

This question was asked years ago but maybe good to ask again. Could
dash be made the default shell in Arch? I did some simple benchmarks
and dash is much faster than bash, moreover being far smaller there is
less chance of bugs. A possible issue is bashisms, however Ubuntu has
been using dash as default for 14 years and Debian also for several
years so hopefully most scripts have had bashisms removed by
upstreams.

What do you think?

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dash#Use_DASH_as_/bin/sh