[arch-general] dash as default shell?

NTS nts at gyatso.de
Wed Jun 17 19:05:22 UTC 2020

On 17 Jun 2020 8:36 p.m., "David Rosenstrauch" <darose at darose.net> wrote:

On 6/17/20 2:18 PM, Piscium via arch-general wrote:

> Today I set dash as my default shell [1] on two PCs. We will see if I
> get into trouble.
>
> This question was asked years ago but maybe good to ask again. Could
> dash be made the default shell in Arch?

Couldn't you just set it as the default for your user using chsh?

Yes, that would probably more safe. Also, you could have a user "doot" or
whatever name with user ID 0 and shell /bin/dash to log in as a sys admin
with dash.

Alternatively when you "su" interactively you could instead do "sudo dash".

Used to do the same (new user with ID 0 I mean) under Solaris and it worked
flawlessly.

Best regards,

NTS