[arch-general] dash as default shell?

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 19:27:29 UTC 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 at 20:19, Kusoneko <kusoneko at kusoneko.moe> wrote:

> Pretty much this, to be honest. I don't really see the point of changing everyone's /bin/sh for one person's personal preference when there isn't really any point in doing so to begin with.

The reasons Ubuntu switched in 2006 and Debian in 2011 were speed,
less bugs and more security. A simple benchmark I ran with several
shells using konsole (which is one of the fastest terminals according
to my simple benchmarks):

time ls -R /

• dash 8.45
• zsh 8.53 (1 % bigger)
• bash 17.1
• fish 19.55

Times are in seconds, on my desktop that has a spinning drive. The
first time it takes longer as the system caches stuff so the times
above are after running a few times. I read that in some benchmarks
dash is up to 4 times faster than bash.