[arch-general] dash as default shell?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 18 04:33:59 UTC 2020

On 6/18/20 12:11 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/17/2020 01:18 PM, Piscium via arch-general wrote:
>> Today I set dash as my default shell [1] on two PCs. We will see if I
>> get into trouble.
>>
>> This question was asked years ago but maybe good to ask again. Could
>> dash be made the default shell in Arch?
>
> Please NO. Bash has been the default, and while there is nothing wrong with a
> Bourne-again (or Debian Almquist) type shell, it would break more than a
> decade of setups...
>
> If you want Dash, make the change after install.

You pulled this assertion out of thin air, do you have any proof that it
"breaks more than a decade of setups"?

Note that as has already been pointed out, any setup which it breaks is
inherently flawed, and in addition was broken on Debian, the most
popular linux distribution by sheer numbers, as well as most non-Linux
forms of Unix.

It's actually in practice very unlikely that this will break anyone's setup.

Also if you really think Arch Linux is afraid to break people's setups,
I suggest you reread https://www.archlinux.org/news/python-is-now-python-3/

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User