[arch-general] What do you do with pacman.log? Periodically archive? Delete?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 18 06:09:24 UTC 2020

This is more of what is the recommended practice ... for handling pacman.log?

  Strange question, yes, but pacman.log is one of those that never gets
rotated, etc.. The information in it isn't useful after a few upgrade cycles.
So what is the general practice for dealing with it?

  o Periodically delete it?
  o Split it by year with awk and compress it for?? Historical reasons?
  o Keep the last year?

  It not one of those things I've ever thought about before, but grepping
(after cleaning up the wide-character right-arrow from 2017/18 timeframe), I
checked and I have 5M of log dating back to 2013. It's not hurting anything,
but that got me thinking? What do others do with it, and is there any
recommended manner for dealing with it?

  I don't see any reason for keeping much of it beyond what you may be asked
to post as part of a bug-report, etc.. which usually wouldn't be more than the
last couple of months for most packages..

  man 8 pacman doesn't provide any options for dealing with how much to keep
or to truncate.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.