[arch-general] Problem with reflector

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 8 05:17:40 UTC 2020

On 3/7/20 11:49 PM, karx via arch-general wrote:
> I don't think you're understanding, it's not a venv. It is simply an
> alternative python installation (similar to Anaconda Python) that lets me
> manage my python versions.

I don't know or care what asdf-vm is, but the difference between an
alternative python interpreter and a venv running on the system python
interpreter is entirely academic. At the end of the day, you're running
an interpreter which is siloed away from the system python environment,
and then you're enabling it by default, which... breaks the default python.

Although, if you're just interested in running additional python
versions other than the /usr/bin/python3.8 binary currently provided by
Arch, then... you really should not be overriding the "python" binary at
all. Just install a python3.7 program or whatever, and invoke it as
`python3.7`.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User