[arch-general] r8169: transmit queue 0 timed out - dying hardware?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat May 9 19:08:24 UTC 2020

On Sat, 9 May 2020 20:08:52 +0200, Bjoern Franke via arch-general wrote:
>The issue appears with 5.6.x and also 5.4.x LTS, now even the DHCP
>request failed after rebooting with 5.6.11.
>
>As it appears with both kernel branches, I hardly believe it's a
>kernel issue. But dying ethernet chipsets on a board?

Perhaps the hardware is broken. I don't know.
I wouldn't exclude the kernel from being the culprit.

It's not related to your issue, but it might be a hardware issue,
too, but for rt-patched kernels >= 5.4.

My PC doesn't suffer from LAN issues, but while Core/linux-lts
and https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-rt-lts/ migrated to
5.4, I stay with 4.19 rt,
https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/4.19/ ,
still LTS, too, https://www.kernel.org/ .

$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,,-securityink,-pussytoes}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.6.11.arch1-1
5.6.10_rt5-1.0
5.6.4_rt3-1.0
4.19.120_rt52-0
4.19.115_rt50-0

I'm doing this because the rt patched kernels >= 5.4 all failed to work
with virtualbox and my hardware. Without the rt patch I didn't notice
an issue. The 4.19 rt patched kernels don't cause any
trouble. Btw. I've got no time for troubleshooting, so I stay with 4.19
for the moment.