[arch-general] USB flash installation medium in BIOS machines

Juergen Werner pogojotz at gmx.net
Mon Nov 2 09:57:02 UTC 2020

Hi,
I started working on my old Laptop again, which is a pre-EFI model and needed a live USB medium to do some repartitioning. I copied the current installation ISO to a USB flash. When I try to boot with it, I see the boot menu (which looks like systemd-boot menu) with only options for UEFI boot and EFI shell option.

In the wiki it is mentioned, that BIOS boots are available throug syslinux:

> Tip: The installation image uses systemd-boot for booting in UEFI mode and syslinux for booting in BIOS mode. [...]

I tried 2 different USB drives and different USB ports. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
jotz