[arch-general] USB flash installation medium in BIOS machines

Juergen Werner pogojotz at gmx.net
Mon Nov 2 11:23:31 UTC 2020

On 02.11.20 11:22, David Runge wrote:
> It seems that your hardware does support UEFI, otherwise systemd-boot
> would not be started.
>
> You can check in your BIOS/Firmware. Many older models have both BIOS
> and UEFI capabilities and usually you can select which should be used.

I just double checked and I don't see any mentioning of UEFI or CSM in
the BIOS settings. I always used legacy BIOS instructions and setup
before and it always worked on this machine (Acer Travelmate TM8473T).

But I can imagine, that this BIOS is somewhat tainted with EFI, because
at that time it was just getting introduced to the general public.

I found a Linux Mint forum entry where they describe a similar problem
with a relatively recent installation medium on this laptop. [1]

> Syslinux will only be used if the hardware does not provide UEFI.

Can I force it somehow? Like by manipulating the image on the flash drive?

[1] https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=302868