[arch-general] busted system after update

winstonsmith at vfemail.net winstonsmith at vfemail.net
Mon Nov 16 18:32:01 UTC 2020

hi folks i could use a little push in the right direction.

i run arch on a 2013 macbook air. i am running an LVM on LUKS system.

after updating my system via "sudo pacman -Syu" i am locked out of my
machine. on a subsequent boot i get the message:

"ERROR: device '/dev/mapper/vgcrypt-root' not found, skipping fsck."
"mount: /new_root: no filesystem type specified."
"You are now being dropped into an emergency shell."

and so i am.

i was able to use a debian live usb to drop into debian's rescue mode
and execute a shell in my decrypted root. i see that mkinitcpio.conf
is missing several hooks, like encrypt and lvm2! what the what?!

i pacman.log i notice that mkinitcpio was updated to version 29-1 when
i did my previous pacman update. is it possible that the update to
mkinitcpio just silently hosed my previous configuration?!

my plan is to add the required hooks to mkinitcpio.conf and then rebuild.

does that seem like the right plan? and will mkinitcpio build an
initramfs successfully from the debian chroot into my disk?

thanks for the time

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse at vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!