[arch-general] busted system after update

u34 at net9.ga u34 at net9.ga
Tue Nov 17 02:14:29 UTC 2020

Winston Smith <winstonsmith at vfemail.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 18:32:01 +0000, winstonsmith wrote:
>
> > hi folks i could use a little push in the right direction.
> >

> ok never mind i got it sorted.
>
> seems my mkinitcpio.conf got replaced with a new version which did not
> include the encrypt or lvm2 hooks that my setup requires.
>
> isn't that sort of thing supposed to be handled by pacnew files? i
> suppose there is a chance that i blindly replaced the conf file
> myself with the pacnew, whatever i coulda been tired...but i am usually
> careful about these things.
>
> anyway i fixed it by booting an arch install iso, opening my luks
> encrypted device, mounted the partitions, chroot'ed into root and
> tweaked mkinitcpio.conf, then ran:
>
> # mkinitcpio -p linux
>
> all sorted, thought i'd follow up for someone else's benefit in case it
> wasn't my error that replaced mkinitcpio.conf in the first place.

I think it was not your error:

    $ pacman -Qii mkinitcpio | tail -3
    Backup Files    :
    UNMODIFIED	/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

In general, one might want to create a customized
/etc/mkinitcpio.d/ones.conf, and set /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset
to use it. I hope I didn't forgot something important here.

--
u34