[arch-general] Realtek RTL8111H NIC : does it just work?

Anthony VB benvb92 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 20:28:37 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM SET via arch-general <
arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I 'm planning to buy a PC with an MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI mother
> board, having a Realtek RTL8111H ethernet device, and install Arch of
> course.
>
> I 've seen many web pages about the need to install the r8168 package for
> it to work. Some pages hint that the r8169 driver should work too. Almost
> all of these sources are many years old.
>
> I wish some forum members could share their experience with this NIC on
> current kernel. Does it just work? Is the r8168 package mandatory? Can
> complex tweak be avoided?
>
> Thank you.
>

> --
> Envoyé de mon appareil Android avec Courriel K-9 Mail. Veuillez excuser ma
> brièveté.

I recently purchased an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 with Realtek RTL8111H
for ethernet (shows up in lspci as '08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek
Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 15)'). It 'just worked' for me, without any extra package.
I'm currently on kernel 5.9.8-arch1-1 (haven't gotten around to the latest
update yet).