[arch-general] brltty - Detected unsafe path transition /etc → /etc/brlapi.key Howto Fix?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Sep 6 20:30:13 UTC 2020

On 05-09-2020 22:44, David C. Rankin wrote:
> All,
>
>    On system update, I get the following related to the brltty[1] package:
>
> (2/7) Creating temporary files...
> Detected unsafe path transition /etc → /etc/brlapi.key during canonicalization
> of /etc/brlapi.key.
> error: command failed to execute correctly
>
> Apparently this package was installed as a dependency of qemu.
>
>    I generally do not want to ignore errors on update, so how do I fix this
> problem? The package was updated August 29, but the issue continues. Should I
> just delete the key and let qemu start over with a new one in a new location?
> Checked https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU, but nothing noted.
>
> [1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/brltty/

cc'ing David, if everything works as intended he should see this message twice.

I have that file also. its content is a number in ASCII text.

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/brltty/trunk/brltty.tmpfiles
is what triggers that message .

Does that match the permissions of the file on your system ?

Lone_Wolf

Yes, thank you for pointing the permissions out, but they are 0640, e.g.

$ l /etc/brlapi.key
-rw-r----- 1 root brlapi 33 Oct 19  2016 /etc/brlapi.key

Seems like this message popped up in the last couple of weeks.