[arch-general] [off-topic] Alternative to Thunderbird, with GPG support, caldav + cardav support, and ics remote webcal support and syncing

Javier j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 21:51:26 UTC 2020

On 9/11/20 3:27 PM, Eli Schwartz via arch-general wrote:
> On 9/11/20 5:18 PM, Javier via arch-general wrote:
>> Until Thunderbird v68, it was the option through the enigmail,
>> lightning and the cardbook extensions, but I really don't want to
>> keep using Thunderbird v78 and beyond any more.  I don't like several
>> design decisions made by the Thunderbird team, regarding how they'll
>> handle PGP, like not using the GPG keyring, not using the GPG agent,
>> not integrating with GPG in general, and neither supporting autocrypt
>> initially (which should be a must to release, or so I think, even K9
>> for android supports it).
>

> Note that Thunderbird still does support the GPG keyring for your
> private key material via a config option.

According to these:

https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/09/openpgp-in-thunderbird-78
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/openpgp-thunderbird-howto-and-faq

Only for private key operations, so not the GPG keyring for public keys.  Actually Tunderbird v78 will keep keys in its own DB, and in order to import the keys once (not to keep them in sync) from current GPG keyring, assistance from Enigmail on migration is required.  So v78 is quite different in functionality, with very little integration with GPG, and the only remaining one is just as a work around given Thunderbird v78+ lack of support for smartcard stored keys, and other keys which structures which are not compatible with RNP currently.

Thanks !

--
Javier