[arch-general] Sequoia/Octopus and Thunderbird - alternative OpenPGP support package

Genes Lists lists at sapience.com
Sun Apr 18 12:55:53 UTC 2021

I've been using octopus now for a while testing it - and its working
really well. I much prefer using gpg and the implementation is in rust,
and seems clean.

The manual installation of octopus library is dead trivial - easy to try
out for anyone interested. Simply rename librnp.so and put a soft link
to the octopus version.

I don't think changing the thunderbird base install is the right approach.

While I'm not sure the best way to achieve this but here's one
suggestion. Package thunderbird in 2 parts :

     (1) thunderbird
     (2) thunderbird-librnp.

Now an separate package of sequoia octopus librnp
(sequoia-octopus-librnp) can be provided as an alternative package
supplying librnp.  Thunderbird would now depend on one of these packages
'providing' librnp.

That way the regular install would remain the same, and for those of us
that really like the alternative, its just a separate package to
install. This might also be a good candidate for pacman alternatives
when available.