[arch-general] System terribly slow

Łukasz Michalski lm at zork.pl
Fri Dec 17 07:07:44 UTC 2021

On 12/17/21 04:33, riveravaldez via arch-general wrote:

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)
>   LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       10%     52941
>    98659719
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     52932
>    -
> # 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       10%     52887
>    78053410
> # 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     52881
>    -
> # 5  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       10%     52875
>    98659715
> # 6  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     52868
>    -
>
> SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
> SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
>     1        0        0  Not_testing
>     2        0        0  Not_testing
>     3        0        0  Not_testing
>     4        0        0  Not_testing
>     5        0        0  Not_testing
> Selective self-test flags (0x0):
>   After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
> If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
>
> That's it.
> I'm not sure if that's more or less normal or a dying disk...
> Any comment? Something informative there?

Hard to say. I would backup all data that you have on this disk.

There are 3 pending sectors that you need to rewrite to be able to
re-run smartd long test. A suspicious thing is that three long tests
stopped on different LBA_of_first_error - it may be an not mechanical
problem, but hdd electronics.

My advice is - after doing a backup to run badblocks read-write test[1].
If it passes then you should have 0 "Current pending sector" reported by
smartd and "Reallocated_Sector_Ct" set to 3.
Then you can run smartctl --test=long and see if it passes.

Anyway, this disk is suspicious and I would not use it without constant
backup.

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/badblocks#Read-write_test_(non-destructive)