[arch-general] Mounted ext4 filesystem without journal

Erich Eckner arch at eckner.net
Sun Feb 7 18:24:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021, Alexander Kapshuk via arch-general wrote:

> I haven't had any replies to the email below so far.
> Not sure if that's because that email didn't make it through to the mailing
> list, even though it does show up here
> <https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2021-February/048597.html>,
> or if it's because the problem I'm asking help for is unique and the
> members of the list have nothing to suggest.
>
> Thought I'd resend the original email just in case.
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

looks, like fsck emptied your disk (or at least the directory structure is
gone) - most probably, because it was already severely damaged before. Why
do you suspect, your kernel has anything to do with it? I would rather
suspect a hardware error of some kind (/dev/sda is a plain ssd or hdd -
not some raid or cryptdevice, I assume).

> The wiki article on fsck troubleshooting,
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fsck#Troubleshooting, suggests
> using tune2fs to write a new journal to /dev/sda2.
> But it doesn't seem to be available when in rootfs.
>
> Booting into the Arch Linux installation CD and mounting /dev/sda2
> over /mnt reveals lost+found as the sole contents of the directory.
> As an experiment, mounting /dev/sda1 over /mnt confirms the presence
> of all the files there are on my boot partition.

Lost inodes end up in lost+found/ when you run fsck (at least, that's,
what has happened to me before). If nothing is left outside of
lost+found/, I suggest:

1. Use your last backup. - You do have a backup, right? If not:

2. copy lost+found/ somewhere safe, do a fresh install, and have a look at
your saved inodes for valuable content (not sure, if there are some tools
to help you with skimming through lots of unnamed inodes - usually at
least *one* of my backups was good enough for me in the past).

> Any pointers on how to proceed with this would be much appreciated.

Use backups :-)

regards,
Erich