[arch-general] Why move LTS to 5.10 when VirtualBox guests Kernel Panic with 5.10?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Feb 17 18:50:28 UTC 2021

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:59:51 -0500, brent s. via arch-general wrote:
>Unless you have a very specific need, I'd instead recommend using
>something like KVM

It's exactly the other way round. Virtualbox is a painless out of the
box solution satisfying a lot of needs. Only if you have a very
special need, consider to migrate to something less comfortable such as
KVM.

>You'll not only see performance gains and some more Linux-host-friendly
>design/features, but you'll also be guaranteed to have it always work
>with the newest kernel you have installed (provided you've rebooted
>after a kernel update), as KVM's kernel integration is part of mainline
>Linux.

And if virtualbox performs adequate you gain absolutely nothing from
those performance gains, but you'll lose all the out of the box features
virtualbox provides, such as file sharing without any effort.