[arch-general] [arch-announce] Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:53:49 UTC 2021

> Em fevereiro 22, 2021 10:23 JustKidding via arch-general escreveu:
> > Do I have to wait for kernel 5.11 in order to use zstd?
> >

> No, zstd is supported since kernel 5.9.

The unfortunate consequence of this is that currently Arch only has
5.10 kernels available, and a mkinitcpio that by default only works
with >5.9.

But people on Haswell CPUs had to have 5.4 pinned, since any later
kernel was crashing the GPU, so the mkinitcpio change will break their
boot unless they are extra/doubly careful.

--
damjan