[arch-general] [RFC] Potentially deprecating primus, bumblebee, virtualGL and primus_vk

Archange archange at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 12 15:07:46 UTC 2021

Le 04/12/2020 à 14:06, Emil Velikov via arch-general a écrit :
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 12:55, Lone_Wolf <lone_wolf at klaas-de-kat.nl> wrote:

>>> As the maintainer for both bumblebee and prime-run, I don't see the
>>> need for deprecation, yet.
>>> Bumblebee still has some uses and also, the it has the appeal of
>>> keeping the card completely powered
>>> off, something that doesn't happen with prime render offload.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I do think bumblebee/primus/primus_vk days are
>>> numbered.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Giancarlo Razzolini
>>
>> For clarity :
>>
>> Does this affect people without an nvidia card ?
>>
>> Are users with an nvidia card that only use nouveau kernel module affected ?
>>
> There should be no user visible changes with my proposal - both GL and
> VK should work as normal. The power management side of things is
> completely unchanged.

Regarding that last statement I’m not sure. Can you confirm that you can
unload the nvidia modules in this configuration (using PRIME offloading
with the proprietary driver through nvidia-prime)?

If so we are definitively willing to integrate this in Bumblebee
upstream, so that people with <Turing or <CoffeLake platform can still
enjoy power management while finally getting the full power from their card.

Regards,
Bruno/Archange