[arch-general] On arch-dev-public: Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 20 01:09:17 UTC 2021

On 1/19/21 7:28 PM, Javier via arch-general wrote:
> Actually, why not keeping it maintained without the "Sync Feature"?  Is
> it something most users make use of?  I use pretty much Firefox for
> everything, but I need to keep Chromium given some corporate web pages
> that only work on Chrome/Chromium.  So I believe it's good for Arch to
> keep Chromium, and not sure about the rationale on no supporting
> Chromium without Sync.  I bet it's pretty useful without it.  I've been
> keeping an eye on that thread, but in the end devs are the ones deciding.

The current maintainer of chromium no longer wishes to be the maintainer
-- without this feature, he does not consider Chromium to be a
competitive, useful software. Fair enough -- no one is ever by any means
forced to maintain anything they don't want to.

The offer is therefore on the table for "any other arch packaging team
member who is interested, is free to take over instead". But with the
caveat that Evangelos is also suggesting "Google LLC sucks and their
browser is unfriendly, do you really want to?"

tl;dr it will only get maintained if someone cares about the program
enough to do so. It's not being banned as not-permitted.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User