[arch-general] dracut roll-out plan?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 24 00:17:50 UTC 2021

On 1/23/21 5:58 PM, David C. Rankin via arch-general wrote:
> Archdevs,
>
>    I see dracut is creeping into the system. Which I see as fine, SuSE has used
> dracut for a couple of years and it has proven to be quite robust. But I do
> have a question on roll-out and what will be required on the user's part. I
> have begun seeing, e.g.:
>
> New optional dependencies for brltty
>      dracut: for dracut based initramfs support
>

>    I currently have 3 Arch servers, with one remote administered, so if this
> will require some type of manual on-site intervention, it would be good to
> know before hand.

There is no plan. Dracut is an optional alternative, because Arch is all
about choice. People who like dracut are welcome to use it.

The optional dependency is referring to the fact that brltty provides
upstream files for /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d and therefore dracut
optionally depends on brltty in order for dracut to have brltty support.

I don't understand why the optional dependency was added to brltty
instead of dracut, though.

dracut doesn't enhance brltty.
brltty enhances dracut.

You could try reaching out to the brltty maintainer directly and asking
for insight, I guess.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User