[arch-general] dracut roll-out plan?

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 25 02:44:31 UTC 2021

Em janeiro 23, 2021 19:58 David C. Rankin via arch-general escreveu:
> Archdevs,
>
>   I see dracut is creeping into the system. Which I see as fine, SuSE has used
> dracut for a couple of years and it has proven to be quite robust. But I do
> have a question on roll-out and what will be required on the user's part. I
> have begun seeing, e.g.:

Dracut is not "creeping" into anything. At the time mkinitcpio replacement was considered,
mkinitcpio didn't had a maintainer anymore and I've packaged it and brought it up on the mail
list so people would use it.

However, I have been maintaining mkinitcpio for the past couple of years. For now, mkinitcpio
will probably remain the default, and dracut is an option. I have yet need to find it a decent
support for the hooks to install the kernel as well as time to mimic mkinitcpio's profile functionality
with dracut. This is one of the reasons I didn't include any hooks with it yet.

> New optional dependencies for brltty
>     dracut: for dracut based initramfs support

I think this dependency is wrong, should probably be the other way around.

>   I currently have 3 Arch servers, with one remote administered, so if this
> will require some type of manual on-site intervention, it would be good to
> know before hand.

We try to have a news item for any manual intervention needed, so you don't need to worry.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini