[arch-general] dracut roll-out plan?

Damjan Georgievski gdamjan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 11:34:36 UTC 2021

>   I see dracut is creeping into the system. Which I see as fine, SuSE has used
> dracut for a couple of years and it has proven to be quite robust. But I do
> have a question on roll-out and what will be required on the user's part. I
> have begun seeing, e.g.:

At first I thought that dracut, being common to Suse and Fedora, would
be nice to use in Arch too, so that there's more standardisation
between distros.
Alas, after using it for a while, dracut seems like the worse project
than mkinitcpio. Both are heavily based on bash, but dracut is a huge
single script and hard to follow.
dracut also had obvious errors (for which I've sent a PR) that really
cooled me off the idea to replace mkinitcpio with it.

I'd hope that mkinitcpio stays the supported initramfs system in Arch
in the near future.
Are there any pressing issues in mkinitcpio currently?

--
damjan