[arch-general] On arch-dev-public: Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 25 13:49:54 UTC 2021

Em janeiro 25, 2021 10:11 Marcus Hoffmann via arch-general escreveu:

> As a user knowing about this you can provide your own (or well the
> Chrome ones which are public) API keys via an env var though. Someone in
> this thread mentioned how exactly this works.

Well, it's quite easy to provide them via environment variables. The main problem I see is:
we don't know if google will return stuff on their chrome api that could break chromium.

So, users willing to risk using chrome keys should do so at their own risk, and this would be
completely unsupported by Arch or any other distro in fact.

I would probably switch to a different browser, If I depended on sync and the other affected API's.

Btw, it looks like these API's are going to be affected, but I'm not sure if this list is accurate
(google already said safe browsing doesn't need the sync api):

    Google account sync
    Geolocation
    Click to Call
    Chrome spelling API