[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Ondřej Kučera ondrej.kucera at centrum.cz
Wed Jan 27 07:43:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 26. 01. 21 20:20, Evangelos Foutras via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 at 10:05, Evangelos Foutras <evangelos at foutrelis.com> wrote:
>>
> Building Chromium without API keys results in a browser that is
> unsuitable for production use. Removing the OAuth 2.0 credentials (or
> when the Chrome team limits them) mainly breaks Chrome data sync
> (e.g.: passwords, bookmarks, open tabs). Additionally removing the
> main API key disables functionality like Safe Browsing and
> Geolocation. I don't consider a browser with downgraded functionality
> and security suitable for end users. [2]

I'd like to ask the devs, if they read this, to reconsider. I myself am
a Firefox user. However, there are sites/web applications that just
don't work in Firefox and probably never will. Some of them I have to
use on a daily basis. For example, Microsoft Teams works perfectly fine
in Chromium (audio, video, desktop sharing); it doesn't, to my
knowledge, in Firefox. Skype works for chatting (unfortunatelly not for
audio/video) in Chromium; while this is not perfect, chatting is in 95 %
of times what I need. I remember even not being able to finish an order
in an e-shop in Firefox once (I can't remember which shop it was) and I
suspect this will happen more and more often. Frankly, since Chromium is
only my browser for when stuff doesn't work in Firefox, I've never used
Sync or geolocation or safe browsing. But it's still very useful to me
having Chromium available as a second-choice browser in the repositories.

--
Regards,
Ondřej Kučera