[arch-general] chromium, or libva, or something, makes xorg dump core

turret. turret at turret-studios.tk
Wed Jul 7 21:39:52 UTC 2021

hey u34,

so through my first examination of the errors, i don't really notice anything
my first thought was to slap `chromium` at the top of my xinitrc and to see what happens (spoiler: it runs)

and then i looked at the backtrace
something bugged me
> Segmentation fault at address 0x20
address 0x20?
only a madman with a system so minimalist could achieve that
so my second guess:
memory could be getting corrupted, or thrown away (i've had this happen to me as a c developer :()

you might want to check that `iHD_drv_video.so` exists, since thats what libva is hinting at

more applications could be loaded by systemd, the kernel, bashrc, xinitrc, etc
so you may want to check all of those for any additional unwanted applications being loaded (that could be causing your issue)

another one of your bets would be to compile xorg yourself
& add -g (for debug symbols) onto it
& run it under gdb

have you made sure you've installed proper video drivers?

just my thoughts here that may/may not help
~turret