[arch-general] Xorg segfault when using electron application and second monitor

LuKaRo lists at lrose.de
Mon Jul 12 19:20:29 UTC 2021

Hello everyone,

thanks for the fast replies.

On 7/12/21 8:03 PM, u34--- via arch-general wrote:
> I wonder if this is somewhat similar to my issue,
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2021-July/049097.html
> .
> Can you:
> 1. Start electron from a terminal and request electron to run in another
>    desktop. Desktop in the window manager sense. Don't switch to the other
>    desktop yet. Are there any error messages in the terminal? If you kill
>    electron before switching to the desktop it should run in, does the
>    xserver contiues in an apparent normal operation?
Good point. I switched to tty2 (not sure if that's enough) and executed
DISPLAY=:0 rocketchat-desktop. Nothing happened, until I switched back
to tty7 (i3 desktop), when it immediately crashed and threw me back to
the lightdm login screen. Upon returning to tty2, the command did not
print any output but simply returned to the prompt.
> 2. Does the xserver dumps core? Can you post gdb analyses for the core
>    dump?
Yes, it does core dumps to /var/lib/systemd/coredump/. What exactly do
you want to see?
> 3. Do you use electron often enough in order to make an educated guess
>    in which version of the xorg server the problem appeared for the 1st
>    time?

Unfortunately yes, I need to use electron daily. However, I can't tell
exactly when I used an external screen for the last time, so I can only
tell for sure that it worked on July 2nd, or maybe Monday the 5th.

However, It seems likely that this issue is related to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1195 . Thanks Andy
for pointing this out. When downgrading

[2021-07-12T21:18:27+0200] [ALPM] downgraded xorg-server-common
(1.20.12-1 -> 1.20.11-1)
[2021-07-12T21:18:27+0200] [ALPM] downgraded xorg-server (1.20.12-1 ->
1.20.11-1)

The issue vanished.