[arch-general] archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html from Aug-2019

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 08:46:52 UTC 2021

On 6/6/21 2:56 AM, Ralph Corderoy via arch-general wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> Why the informative text output from a package manager should use
>> anything other than basic terminal capabilities seems to fly in the
>> face of the Arch KISS philosophy.
>
> As long as it's querying terminfo(5) to check for the capability and
> using the escape sequence presented there if it exists then that would
> seem fine.  If it just blindly writes bytes and assumes the world can
> understand them...  And Thomas Dickey's xterm(1) is superb in its
> correctness so that's the main thing to test it with.

Is there any simple way to turn of the parallel download of the packages files
that seems to be at the root of this "new technology". I would be quite happy
to just have the files download sequentially again?

Also, when I update my server at home, this seems aimed ab better saturating
the bandwidth to speed things up. Only problem is if my kids are playing games
-- the howls of bad ping times and cries of "Dad what are you doing?" see to
come without much delay :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.