[arch-general] archlinux.org/pacman/pacman.conf.5.html from Aug-2019

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Mon Jun 7 21:09:32 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-03 at 12:09:59 -0500,
"David C. Rankin via arch-general" <arch-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 6/3/21 4:17 AM, Lone_Wolf via arch-general wrote:
> > The new progressbar requires specific escape codes (part of VT100 terminal
> > definition I think) to be supported.
> >
> > Atleast one terminal emulator (qterminal ) has already been found not to
> > support those , see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=266831 .
> >
> > Are those 3 machines using different terminal emulators ?
> >
> > Lone_Wolf
>
> I did all 3 updates from different tabs in the same konsole (KDE), so the
> terminal is VT100 compatible. It really looked like there was a bad ANSI
> escape somewhere. It was night/day different than the last time I updated and
> I've probably update each of these boxes of 1000 times during the past 10
> years or so.

I have a stupid question:  Is it possible that one or more of those tabs
are out of sync with respect to the actual size of the window and the
remote systems?  Years (if not decades) ago, there used to be problems
along those lines if you (generic you) resized the terminal on the local
machine because the remote machine wouldn't know about it.  Since then,
things like SIGWINCH work way better than they used to.  To test that
hypothesis, open a new local window and log in to one of the remote
systems giving you trouble.

(Now that I re-read that, it came out condescending, but that's not at
all my intent.  Someone downthread mentioned an ancient version of
konsole and my brain went to that old problem.  I'm only trying to
explain your symptoms and a possible solution.)