[arch-general] Firefox dropping support for OTB fonts as well?

Javier je-vv at e.email
Wed Jun 9 18:37:07 UTC 2021

Hello !

After pango moved to use Harfbuzz, the Terminus bitmap fonts no longer were shown as a font on could select on firefox, so Terminus bitmap fonts were actually dropped.  Then later kept showing up on Firefox as they used to, like xos4 Terminus, but I don't know if they kept working as before...

At that time though, Terminus OTB (openTypeBitmap) were still showing up as an option on Firefox, as just Terminus, and were working fine.  Even until versions 88+.

With Firefox 89, the Terminus OTB and the Terminus bitmap fonts can be selected still, but they don't really work anymore.  When one zooms out or zooms in a web site, the mono space fonts using whether Terminus or xos4 Terminus do NOT zoom at all, they remain the same pretty small size.  And manually changing the monospace (which are the ones I set with terminus fonts) size through preferences don't make the fonts change size at all.

So it seems neither bitmap, nor OTP, Terminus fonts are working on Firefox any more.

On AUR there's a terminus-font-ttf, meant for Java applications it seems, which are apparently working on Firefox.  I tried them before on virtual terminals like rxvt-unicode and qterminal, and they look pretty bad (blurry actually), so I wouldn't dare using those fonts on any virtual terminal.  However they seem to work on Firefox.  Has Firefox finally dropped support for non TTF fonts?  Are the TTF Terminus fonts, the definite work around?

If someone knows, please provide some light, :)

Thanks a lot !

--
Javier