[arch-general] definition of "orphan"

Reto reto at labrat.space
Thu Mar 11 07:09:08 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 07:43:30AM +0100, Matthias Bodenbinder via arch-general wrote:
> in the arch world I see two different definition of an "orphan".
>[...]
> This is confusing. Would it make sense to change the wording so that it
> is not ambiguous anymore.

It's not the same context...

A "fork" is an eating utensil that you use to shove food into your mouth.
However, a "fork" is also a software project that is based of some prior work.
It's also a point where a road diverges into two paths...

See the point I'm trying to make?

It isn't particularly confusing, it's simply not the same context.
Words can (and do have) different meaning based on it.